Sunday, October 23, 2011

Conan Live Show Taping!

It has been too long since I updated the blog! We've been really busy around here lately, and plus we both had colds this weekend. So we had a pathetic weekend full of napping and not leaving the house other than to walk the dog. And by the way, when I got married, I knew there would be some sharing involved, but I didn't want to share everything (e.g.-colds). But the vows do say, "In Sickness and In Health...."

Last Monday, Adam and I went to a live taping of The Conan Show on TBS. Adam LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Conan O'Brien, so for months I'd been trying to get tickets so I could surprise him. Finally, we won the free ticket lottery, and we were so excited. For weeks before the taping, we wondered who the "celebrity" guests would be. And the weekend before the taping we learned it would be Kaley Cucao and Dr. Drew Pinksy.

We were kind of disappointed about Kaley Cucao, only because we already saw her when we went to a taping of The Big Bang Theory! I mean out of all the celebrities in Hollywood, what are the odds we would see her for a second time? It is like she is stalking us. But Oh Dr. Drew! I was so excited about Dr. Drew! Because I'm kinda, sorta in love with him, and I promise Adam knows and he understands. First of all, he is so handsome in that distinguished, older man kind of way. Second, I work in the mental health field and I really admire his therapeutic skills. Seriously, I'm not making that up. Therapy totally revs my engine.

As excited as I was, when I found out Dr. Drew was the guest of honor, I got a little nervous. What if I got to talk to him and I got all starstruck like I did when I met Princess Belle at Disneyland? You see, when I met Princess Belle at Disneyland, I got all excited and fawned over her like she was really Princess Belle and stuttered, "You're My Favorite Princess!"  As if she was not just a lady in costume!

When the day of the taping rolled around, we drove down to Burbank, went through security, and received our snazzy wrist bands. We got to hang out with other crazy Conan fans (and I do mean crazy), and we bought matching Conan T-shirts. Eventually it was time to head over to the studio. Walking to Conan's studio was a lot of fun too because we walked right through the old set from my all-time favorite show, Gilmore Girls.

Actually entering Conan's studio was surreal because it looks exactly like it does on TV, except it was like a miniaturized version. It was so cool to see how the show is made and to see the celebrities. (And yes, Dr. Drew is just as cute in person as he is on TV, and NO I didn't make a fool of myself. Probably only because I never talked to him). When we watched it back on TV, we noticed that they do edit somethings out,  and also they tone down the laughter and hollering that goes on in the studio (probably so you can hear what everyone is saying).

It was a really fun day and a great experience, and being able to do things like that is one really cool thing about living in Southern California. And seeing Conan was on my California Bucket List, so I'm happy to to mark one more thing off that list.  

Song of the Day: Insensitive by Jann Arden

2 comments:

  1. Whhhhaaaaat?! I've always wanted to be part of the "live audience" on tv. Is it just a lottery for most shows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Celese-yes just google live tv tapings online!

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!