Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The W. and Columbus, Mississippi









I attended Mississippi University for Women (in Columbus, Mississippi) for four years. The W. has a BEAUTIFUL campus steeped in history and tradition and is located in a beautiful, historic small town. I went to Columbus last week to visit with most of my best girlfriends. We only had one night together, but it was a blast. How could it ever be anything less when we all get together?

The first thing I did when I got into town was go to the campus. And while I was driving around, I watched  all the girls hanging out together and walking to dinner.  And they looked just like me and my friends did just a few short years ago. And I had to wonder, do they know how special this place is? Or how special it will be to them after they graduate? I'm sure they don't because you never understand what something means to you until after it is gone.

Boy oh boy, I love that place. And even though, I wouldn't trade anything for how my life is today, sometimes I really miss that place. The W. is where I learned to accept the person I am. The W. is where I met my best friends, who really aren't even my friends, they are my sisters.  The W. was home of the late night doughnut runs, all-night board game fests, and dance parties. The W. is where I really fell in love with psychology and decided I wanted to be a therapist. The W. is where I started dating my husband. And back then,  Adam and I would stay up all night talking on the phone in my little hot pink dorm that was so bright it radiated a pink light outside of my dorm room (I didn't paint it).

So it is no wonder that place has a special home in my heart and I will always be proud to be a W. alumni.

Song of the Day: Poem to a Horse by Shakira

2 comments:

  1. We should follow each other - http://amyklundt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful location! I work at the second oldest college in the nation and often take for granted how fortunate I am to be able to enjoy the history and the beauty of the old campus. So glad you had a good time with your friends while you were there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!